WELCOME TO ASK
Academic Skills Service: ASK
The ASK service offers you academic skills strategies to support your studies and help improve your grades.
ASK specialises in the area of Academic Communication, including all aspects and types of academic writing, critical thinking and referencing skills.
ASK works in partnership with students in all disciplines and at all levels of academic study, from Foundation to PhD. You may wish to consult ASK for a one-off session on revision techniques, for example, or book a series of appointments on essay writing.
ASK welcomes students who have been away from education for a while, international students, and those who are looking for the tools to become independent learners.
Visit our other pages
Ways ASK can help you
1:1 academic skills tutorials
- These confidential sessions last for 30 minutes
- The content, time and frequency of each tutorial is negotiated according to student need
- You can book a tutorial by using the online booking calendar
- Please be sure to indicate the nature of what you would like to discuss
- These are suitable for all your last-minute queries related to your academic work
- Tuesdays and Thursdays, 3.30-4.30pm, Hunter Street Library
- Each term ASK focuses on different key academic skills typically requested by students
- Please see the poster below for this term's programme
- To reserve your place, please click here
ASK offers you friendly, professional and confidential learning support during your studies
ASK can help you to:
- Develop effective practices for studying at university
- Have a clearer understanding of what tutors expect
- Make studying less stressful
- Become a confident, independent and successful learner
ASK can support you with:
- Essay structure
- Managing your workload
- Becoming a critical thinker
- Effective reading and research skills
- Note-taking techniques
- Referencing and citation
- Reflective writing
- Revision and exam techniques
- Getting started
- Effective presentations
- Group work
- Dissertation writing
- Finding a learning style that suits the way you work
- Using academic language
Please check ASK's Moodle page for self-help resources.
Contact email@example.com for further information.